Use of Golf Cars on Texas Beaches by County
It is best to check with the local municipal police dept and county Sheriff’s office for recent changes to regulations to the below ordinances – be sure you can use your car on the beach prior to purchase or rental.
· Galveston County
o City of Galveston Beaches – allowable. Must be registered. Can only operate on beaches that allow vehicular traffic (except for handicapped usage displaying appropriate signage). Must be equipped with headlamps, tail lamps, side reflectors, parking brake, rear view mirrors, and a Slow-Moving-Vehicle sign. There are 2 different ordinances governing use of golf carts in the city and is determined by the east and the west side of the island. If you are on the east side, your cart may be required to have turn signals, horn, brake lights and seat belts. Best to check with the City of Galveston Police Dept for final determination. Sea Isle Beach Park is closed to all vehicular traffic. See http://www.galvestonpolice.net/official/?page_id=224 for more information.
o Galveston County Sheriff’s Office –Valid driver’s license required. Must have a Bolivar Beach parking sticker to park on the beach. Permit required on all county beaches, if you park, otherwise no permit needed for driving on the beach. Cannot drive them at night.
o City of Jamaica Beach – see http://www.ci.jamaicabeach.tx.us/Golf%20Cart%20Ordinance%202009-4.pdf for more information. Must be registered and have a license plate. Must have insurance. Driver must have a valid TDL. Must display a slow-moving-vehicle sign. Must have turn signals, stop lights, exterior mirror on driver’s side, parking brake, windshield and VIN, headlights, tail lights and reflex reflectors
· Brazoria County
o County Sheriff’s office – golf cars are permitted generally. Permit from City of Surfside Beach is required. Must have Slow Moving Vehicle sign on car.
o Surfside Beach – Permitted on the Drive-on beach only (east of 332). West of Starfish is closed to ALL vehicular traffic. Must purchase an annual beach pass and display on front left windshield. Speed limit of 15 mph. Any vehicle NOT street licensed is not legal. Golf cars must be licensed and insured. See http://www.surfsidetx.org/default.aspx?name=city.beach_rules for additional information.
· Matagorda County – Not allowed on any beaches in this county.
· Jackson County - they don’t really have much beach area and referred us to Calhoun County
· Calhoun County – Allowed on beaches in Calhoun County. Must have headlamps, tail lamps, reflectors, parking brake and mirrors. Must be operated by license drivers only. Must be operated in daylight hours only.
· Aransas County
o City of Rockport - Must have headlamps, tail lights, reflectors, parking brake, mirrors, turn signals, a slow-moving-vehicle sign, seat belts and a flag on a 6’ pole affixed to the rear of the golf car. Must be verified and inspected by the Rockport Police Dept. Pay an annual fee (one-time). Must possess a valid driver’s license and insured. See copy of City Ordinance 1528 for more information. - http://www.cityofrockport.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=2232 .
o Other cities in this county have no ordinances according to City of Rockport.
· San Patricio County – no regulations found. Referred us to city of Port Aransas below.
· Nueces County
o Port Aransas – must have headlights, reflector, seatbelts, slow moving vehicle emblem, tail lights, parking brake, rearview mirror. Permit and insurance is required. Application found at http://www.cityofportaransas.org/pdf/Golf_Cart_Application.pdf .
o City of Corpus Christi – allowed….must have headlights, tail lights, reflectors, mirror, parking brake and ‘slow moving’ emblem.
o County – ruled by the city, Port Aransas.
· National Seashore – Padre Island – located on Kleberg, Nueces and Cameron Counties – not allowed.
· Kleberg County – referred us to Corpus Christi city and National Seashore for regulations
· Kenedy County - no public beaches in this county. Beach is the National Seashore Padre Island domain.
· Willacy County – no public beaches in this county. Beach is the National Seashore Padre Island domain.
· Cameron County – no public beaches here. Beach is the National Seashore Padre Island domain.
22340 IH 35 (exit 178)
New Braunfels, TX 78132